PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS – Admissions
The graduate program is based on earning 48 semester credits in the twenty-seven month period. Only full-time students are admitted to the program. The program integrates clinical and academic experiences throughout the curriculum.
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program must meet the admission requirements of the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia and Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs.
- Complete an application file for the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia by October 31st through NursingCAS. A completed MSA supplementary application with application fee must also be received by the school prior to the application deadline.
- Graduate from High School (or possess GED).
- Possess an appropriate baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Degrees must be completed and final transcripts submitted through NursingCAS prior to the enrollment date in August. Appropriate degrees include:
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing
- Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing plus another appropriate science based baccalaureate degree – i.e. chemistry, biology, etc.
- Possess a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or greater.
- Possess an unencumbered license as a registered professional nurse and/or APRN in the United States.
- Prior to the application deadline, complete one year (1 FTE) of nursing experience in a critical care setting within the last three years. (Operating room, emergency room, post-anesthesia recovery and ground/flight transport nursing experience do not fulfill this requirement.)
- Complete a chemistry course from a regionally accredited institution within the past five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying (Example: For Fall 2016 start date, a chemistry course must be taken Fall semester 2012 or after).
- Possess American Heart Association basic cardiac life support (BLS), advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) and pediatric advanced life support (PALS) recognition. Maintain BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition through graduation.
- Complete the interview process.
- Complete a physical examination.
Application Procedures – APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR FALL 2018. PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON FOR INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY FOR FALL 2019
The deadline for completing the application process is October 31st of any year. You must complete the current application (2019 APPLICATION COMING SOON) and follow the NursingCAS application process to be considered.
The Minneapolis School of Anesthesia utilizes NursingCAS for online application processing. You can access the NursingCAS site here: NursingCAS
You must create an account and follow all the instructions for uploading required information prior to the deadline. PLEASE NOTE: The NursingCAS website lists the application deadline as August 15, 2017. The site then closes for a week and reopens on August 23, 2017 in another application cycle. The school deadline for applications is October 31 each year. If you apply before August 15 or after August 23, you are applying for the same class starting the following fall of each year.
Your NursingCAS application must be complete and we must be in receipt of your supplementary application (above) and supplementary application fee prior to October 31 to be considered for the class that starts the following fall.
Because the class size is limited, applicants who meet minimum admission requirements may not be selected.
The file of each applicant who has completed the application procedure and who was granted an interview will be carefully reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Academic achievement, nursing experience, references, and interview reports will be considered in this evaluation. The School reserves the right to deny admission to any applicant.
Applicants will be notified of the decision of the Admissions Committee. Applicants may be accepted, placed on an alternate list, or not accepted.
Letters of appointment will be mailed in February. Within a specified time, the student must send a letter of acceptance and a $400.00 non-refundable enrollment fee.
ALTHOUGH THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT REQUIRED TO APPLY, THEY ARE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ENROLLMENT:
BLS, ACLS and PALS Recognition. A current copy of American Heart Association BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition must be on file with the school.
Complete a chemistry course from a regionally accredited college or university within the past five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying (Example: For Fall 2018 start date, a chemistry course must be taken Fall semester 2013 ar after). The school does not recommend any specific chemistry course to take, however, we recommend that you stay away from introductory courses and look for upper level or graduate courses. It can be fully online and does not need to have a lab.
Physical Examination. The examination will be completed by the applicant’s personal physician at the applicant’s expense. The form will be furnished by the School.