PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS – Admissions
The DNP graduate program is based on earning 78 semester credits in the thirty-six month period. Only full-time students are admitted to the program. The program integrates clinical and academic experiences throughout the curriculum.
Admission Requirements (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program must meet the admission requirements of the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia and Metropolitan State University College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- Complete an application file for the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia by August 31st, 2023 through NursingCAS. A completed Summer 2024 MSA Supplemental Application (see below) with application fee ($125 – check, cashier’s check, or money order) must also be received by the school prior to the application deadline.
- Graduate from High School (or possess GED).
- Possess a Baccalaureate or Master’s degree in Nursing from a regionally accredited institution. Degrees must be completed and final transcripts submitted through NursingCAS prior to matriculation.
- Possess a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or greater.
- Possess an unencumbered license as a registered professional nurse and/or APRN in the United States.
- Prior to the application deadline, complete one year (1 FTE) of nursing experience in a critical care setting within the last three years. (Operating room, emergency room, post-anesthesia recovery and ground/flight transport nursing experience DO NOT fulfill this requirement.)
- Complete an upper level undergraduate or graduate level chemistry course from a regionally accredited institution within the past five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying – avoid introductory chemistry courses. (Example: For Summer 2024 start date, a chemistry course must be taken Summer semester 2019 or after).
- Possess American Heart Association basic cardiac life support (BLS), advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) and pediatric advanced life support (PALS) recognition. Maintain BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition through graduation. (see note below)
- Personal statement – uploaded to NursingCAS as an optional document. Please note there is no required formatting.
- Complete the interview process.
- Please note: it is preferable to email the school at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to calling. Email responses will be faster than phone responses due to workload and prioritization of office duties.
Spring 2024 Application Procedures and Information – PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY
Spring 2024 Application Cycle – NOW OPEN!!!!! Deadline is August 31st, 2023
The Minneapolis School of Anesthesia utilizes NursingCAS for online application processing. You can access the NursingCAS site here: NursingCAS
If you are applying to the Summer 2024 DNP cohort, in addition to the NursingCAS application available August 11, 2022, please complete the following supplemental application – DNP Application 2024 – and mail with $125 check (non-refundable) to Minneapolis School of Anesthesia, 1000 County Road E West, #230, Shoreview, MN 55126. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure the supplemental application and application fee have been received by the school prior to the deadline. NursingCAS applications will not be reviewed by the Admission Committee without a corresponding supplemental application and fee. Failure of delivery of the supplemental application and supplemental fee to the school by any postal service is not the fault of the school and will not be taken into consideration after the deadline.
Your NursingCAS application must be verified and we must be in receipt of your supplementary application (above) and supplementary application fee prior to August 31st, 2023 to be considered for the cohort that matriculates Summer 2024. Please understand that it can take NursingCAS up to four weeks to verify an application – plan your application accordingly. Your application will not be considered if it is not verified by the deadline – NO EXCEPTIONS
ALTHOUGH THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT REQUIRED TO APPLY, THEY ARE REQUIRED PRIOR TO MATRICULATION:
BLS, ACLS and PALS Recognition. A current copy of American Heart Association BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition must be on file with the school.
Complete a chemistry course from a regionally accredited college or university within the past five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying (Example: For Summer 2024 start date, a chemistry course must be taken Summer semester 2019 or after). The school does not recommend any specific chemistry course to take, however, we recommend that you stay away from introductory courses and look for upper level undergraduate or graduate courses. It can be fully online and does not need to have a lab. This requirement is required to be completed for all accepted applicants with an official transcript sent to either Nursing CAS during the application cycle or directly to the school if completed between the application deadline and the first day of class.
If accepted, a physical examination and vaccination titers will need to be completed by the applicant’s personal health care provider at the applicant’s expense. The form will be furnished by the School and titers must be sent back to the school with the completed physical form.