PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS – Admissions
The DNP graduate program is based on earning 91 semester credits in the thirty-nine month period. Only full-time students are admitted to the program. The program integrates clinical and academic experiences throughout the curriculum.
Admission Requirements (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program must meet the admission requirements of the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia and Metropolitan State University College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- Complete an application file for the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia by May 31st through NursingCAS. A completed MSA supplementary application with application fee ($100) must also be received by the school prior to the application deadline.
- Graduate from High School (or possess GED).
- Possess an appropriate baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Degrees must be completed and final transcripts submitted through NursingCAS prior to matriculation. Appropriate degrees include:
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing
- Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing plus another appropriate science based baccalaureate degree – i.e. chemistry, biology, etc. (MSN only)
- Possess a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or greater.
- Possess an unencumbered license as a registered professional nurse and/or APRN in the United States.
- Prior to the application deadline, complete one year (1 FTE) of nursing experience in a critical care setting within the last three years. (Operating room, emergency room, post-anesthesia recovery and ground/flight transport nursing experience DO NOT fulfill this requirement.)
- Complete an upper level undergraduate or graduate level chemistry course from a regionally accredited institution within the past five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying – avoid introductory chemistry courses. (Example: For Spring 2022 start date, a chemistry course must be taken Spring semester 2017 or after).
- A graduate level statistics course will be required prior to matriculation to those accepted into any DNP cohort – information about this will be provided to those granted admission to the program.
- Possess American Heart Association basic cardiac life support (BLS), advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) and pediatric advanced life support (PALS) recognition. Maintain BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition through graduation. (see note below)
- Complete the interview process.
- Complete a physical examination.
Application Procedures for Spring 2022 DNP Cohort:
The DNP application for matriculation in Spring 2022 is now open. Interviews have been extended to our MSN 2021 applicants. If you did not get an interview and are interested in applying for the DNP 2022 cohort, please follow the application process in NursingCAS for the DNP Spring 2022 application. As stated below, the deadline for this application is May 31, 2021.
The Minneapolis School of Anesthesia utilizes NursingCAS for online application processing. You can access the NursingCAS site here: NursingCAS
If you are applying to the Spring 2022 DNP cohort, in addition to the NursingCAS application, please complete the following supplemental application – Spring 2022 Supplemental Application – and mail with $100 check (non-refundable) to Minneapolis School of Anesthesia, 1000 County Road E West, #230, Shoreview, MN 55126. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure the supplemental application and application fee have been received by the school prior to the deadline. NursingCAS applications will not be reviewed by the Admission Committee without a corresponding supplemental application and fee. Failure of delivery of the supplemental application and supplemental fee to the school by any postal service is not the fault of the school and will not be taken into consideration after the deadline.
Your NursingCAS application must be verified and we must be in receipt of your supplementary application (above) and supplementary application fee prior to May 31, 2021 to be considered for the cohort that matriculates Spring 2022. Please understand that it can take NursingCAS up to four weeks to verify an application – plan your application accordingly. Your application will not be considered if it is not verified by the deadline – NO EXCEPTIONS
ALTHOUGH THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT REQUIRED TO APPLY, THEY ARE REQUIRED PRIOR TO MATRICULATION:
BLS, ACLS and PALS Recognition. A current copy of American Heart Association BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition must be on file with the school.
Complete a chemistry course from a regionally accredited college or university within the past five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying (Example: For Spring 2022 start date, a chemistry course must be taken Spring semester 2017 or after). The school does not recommend any specific chemistry course to take, however, we recommend that you stay away from introductory courses and look for upper level undergraduate or graduate courses. It can be fully online and does not need to have a lab. This requirement is required to be completed for all accepted applicants with an official transcript sent to either Nursing CAS during the application cycle or directly to the school if completed between the application deadline and the first day of class.
A graduate level statistics course will be required prior to matriculation to those accepted into any DNP cohort – information about this will be provided to those granted admission to the program.
If accepted, a physical examination and vaccination titers will need to be completed by the applicant’s personal health care provider at the applicant’s expense. The form will be furnished by the School and titers must be sent back to the school with the completed physical form.